Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hey y'all it's Kacie, here to give you a brief summary of my week so far. Monday after a hot, sweaty clean up of the mass amounts of garbage found on the streets, we were then given the opportunity to hang out with the kids in the Emmaus House program. Even though they had just gone on a field trip to a place equivalent to Bounce Party, they were full of energy. When I walked in, I was surprised by the tug on my arm to go play candyland with a few girls. Following that I was asked to color flowers and read a couple books. And finally, concluding the day, was a game of musical chairs.
Yesterday was a whole new experience; we drove to an old folks home to give company to those staying the complex. Right as we walked in, we were greeted by a wonderful woman who gave us a better idea of what their home called Calvin Court was all about. We were then lead downstairs to a work out room, and then a couple minutes later joined by the amazing 65-95 year olds who somehow find the energy to work out. A man who worked in this work out room had given me a list of questions to interview someone with, and right away I was greeted by a man willing answer every question I asked about his life, experiences, and faith. When we finished, he asked me to go upstairs to his yoga class to join about 5 other older women. Let me tell you it's harder than I thought. Finishing the day hanging out with a knitting group, proud to show me their work and willing to teach me how to croche (which I struggled with), we decided it was a relaxing and entertaining day.
Today was definitely a powerful day. We went to a soup kitchen to serve those who needed it. When we got there, the man in charge was excited to tell us all about the organization and show us around thier facility. Then we were put to work. I was in charge of passing out the bowls full of soup, which was just one of the many main dishes they recieved, including hotdogs, sandwiches, and more. To see the gratefullness and smiles these people shared with me made my day. Its nice to see the direct impact you can make on peoples lives.
Since today was only a half day of work, we are now off to the Underground and then it's baseball time. Lets go mets!

No comments:

Post a Comment